Q: Will we get Promotion Codes this year?

A: Short Answer: Yes Yes! And we highly encourage you to use them. You can find yours here.

Q: How do I get in touch with Human Resources?

A: Short Answer: There are many ways to get in touch with Human Resources. Who you contact at Human Resources (HR) depends on your needs.

HR Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00PM
Email: DarkHarborHR@queenmary.com
Phone: 562-896-7760
If you need escalated assistance, Jessica Schmidt, Director of Human Resources, can be reached at: Ask Crystal by calling Human Resource at: jessica.schmidt@queenmary.com or 562-499-1750

Q: Do I get paid for Orientation?

A: Short answer: YE$. Orientation consists of learning and training. It's fun, but it's work. You will be compensated accordingly. And it won't be with Monopoly money.

Q: What do I do if I’m running late or have an emergency?

A: Short answer: Let us know ASAP by directly contacting the Beverage team via WhenIWork. In the case of an emergency, please text or call #: (562) 774-0878 Please message if possible (i.e. you're riding the bus, walking, or getting a ride). If you're driving, please call. Please do not text and drive. Mistakes happen, but please do everything in your power to not be late. If you are running late, please text (or be ready to tell us, if you're calling) the following info:

  • Full Name
  • Position (ie Bartender, Barback, etc)
  • Call Time (time you should be clocked-in)
  • ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival)

That's it. No other info and no apologies are needed. Just the facts.

Example text message:
“This is Jane Doe running late. I'm in Broken Compass Bar, call time 4:45, ETA 5:00 PM.”

Q: Can I smoke / vape on the property?

A: Short answer: Yes, but there are restrictions. When: Smoking and vaping are only permitted when you’re not scheduled to be working. In other words, you can puff during your breaks (including your Meal Break); however, you should NOT be smoking while in position or moving to and from your break area/tower/etc.
Where: Smoking/vaping is restricted to the designated smoking/vaping area in the BOH smoking area.
Common Sense: And, of course, do not smoke or vape in view of guests.
Want to Quit? Get Help: Free telephone counseling, self-help materials, and online help in six languages to help you quit smoking at [[[[https://www.nobutts.org/44]]]] and 1-800-662-8887.

Q: What if I forget to wear a part of my uniform, for example – wrong pants, shirt, etc.?

A: Short answer: You will be sent home. It is your responsibility to make sure you come to work in the correct clothing prior to shift. We do not have extra clothes or shoes on site for staff. If you can find someone to borrow these items from, GREAT! If you cannot, be prepared to leave property to either grab clothes/shoes from a nearby store or go home.

Q: Can I bring my own kit and jiggers?

A: Short answer: Yes You are most definitely allowed to bring your own bar kit, however, you are responsible for anything you bring and we are not to be held liable for any loss or theft of your items.

Q: I don’t want to take a 10-minute break. Do I still have to take one?

A: Short answer: Yes We know how busy it gets and taking a break may seem like it could possibly affect your tips, however, by law you must take a 10 minute break some time during your shift. This is meant to help you take a breather, stretch and refresh. We will check with you every day to ensure you have taken one. It is just as essential as taking your 30 minute lunch break!

Q: I forgot my driver’s license. Can I still work?

A: Short answer: No You expect customers to have proper identification in order to drink. We expect you to have proper identification to check out a bank and alcohol. You must have a CA ID or DL on you at all times. No exceptions.

Q: I have discrepancies on my paycheck. Who do I contact?

A: Short answer: Payroll It’s terrible to receive your paycheck and have errors on it. We understand how frustrating that can be. We want to help you! Please reach out to Payroll (who is on site every night) so they can help you with resolving the issue. If you feel you need further assistance, please contact the Beverage Manager with your concern.